Logo

Need Help 2006 Merc 50 hp 4stroke efi

jmcollins77

Just recently purchased a 2006 50hp 4 Stroke EFI for a small boat I have. Tested the engine out on the previous boat it was on and it ran fine. Swapped it to my boat and then the problems began. After rigging everything up, I hooked the ball/hose to the engine and began to pump the ball up. Nothing. Took the hose off the barb on the tank and noticed that the inside of the hose had deteriorated into small little chunks of plastic goo. Of which from pumping is now inside my fuel system. Check the first water sep. filter sure enough its clogged off with debris. Change the filter element and then go to lake. also got a new hose and ball. Go to the lake and start up everything is fine leave dock and start accelerating gets up to WOT and start trimming up. runs about 2 minutes then bluhhhhhh. Down to 4000 rpms and that's all it will run. I immediately think something is stopped back up. Come home change the low pressure filter again and also change the high pressure filter. in the process also found the ground wire that goes on the starter was also left loose during the swap. Back to the lake same thing. Checked fuel pressure on low pressure diaphragm pump it was 6psi. Pressure on the electric high pressure was at 46 psi. Both within factory spec. Pulled the injectors to see if they were clogged. Each injector appeared to spray normally and wasn't stopped up from what I can tell. Im now out of remedies that I know to do. I need help. Thanks in advance for any input.

when it is running at 4k tops if you bring the motor back to idle in neutral for a few minutes and pump the bulb and then come back up does it repeat the cycle and run good for a short period of time?

No after it ran good on the start it won't get back up there to normal. Tried pumping the ball bringing back to idle and tried pumping it while running even but no luck.

Back