Logo

Need Float setting data 99 Evinrude

n_e_t_o

"Hey all,
First of all, I DO

"Hey all,
First of all, I DO own the Seloc manual that covers my outboard, but it's not accesible at this time! So I'm asking if someone can give me the float specs and settings (where to measure and the measurment, etc.) for a 1977 9.9 Evinrude.
Model # 10724A
Thanks in advance! I hope this isn't illegal to ask this. It would be easier (and cheaper) for me to go buy an new manual than it would be to go get my current one!
Randy"

"no prob,flip it upside down,.

"no prob,flip it upside down,..set it level,w/carb body,...next,flip again,right sd up,u should have a good drop,..not just a slight drop,....needle should not come out of brass seat tho....actual specs are not avail/(or critical), to me as i am hm today.this will do it!"

"Randy,
Start with a sett

"Randy,
Start with a setting that allows 1/4 inch drop and closes the needle valve in its seat when raised 1/4 inch. I don't know the proper "exact" setting but that one works on my 7.5, 9.5 and 5 hp Evinrude engines, and my Mercury 3.9 from 1967."

"1/4" drop from who knows

"1/4" drop from who knows where bub??/.......
thats why i posted it,so he could understand...!"

"JWB,
Looks like between

"JWB,
Looks like between the two of us, he figured out that the 1/4 inch drop is from the float level in the bowl with the bowl filled with fuel."

"Well it was quite clear from

"Well it was quite clear from JWB instructions (Despite his infuriating abbreviations
rofl.gif
) how to set it. Pretty well works with most carbs as far as I can see.
Bu§§ered if I understand what this 1/4" drop means though"

"exactly which,....infuriating

"exactly which,....infuriating abbreviations???i spelled it out very simply,...and clearly."

"Last one on this for me. the

"Last one on this for me. the 1/4 inch drop is from the point at which the needle pin is fully seated and closed, with the fuel amount at "level" in the bowl to fully open (dropped) in the fuel bowl. Thus over that 1/4 inch of travel, the needle valve is fully closed at the top point of float travel to fully open at the bottome (less fuel in the bowl) level."

I am sure you are right but it

I am sure you are right but it is necessary to adjust the float arm so that the needle just closes when the top of the float is parallel with the carb body. That's the object of flipping it over as JWB says to do.
If that is done the fuel is controlled at the correct level in the bowl. That's the important fact. Maybe when set correctly the float can fall 1/4" but who cares so long as it falls enough for the valve to open.

Back