Logo

Need detailed info on gimbal bearing removal

rich_b

Contributing Member
i have a 1971 searay w/165hp s

i have a 1971 searay w/165hp straight 6.i have a clymer manual but it does not give good detail on the removal/install of the gimbal bearing.i am also doing u-joints and water impeller. can some one help me with this problem.thanks

"Removing the stern drive is p

"Removing the stern drive is pretty straight forward. Need an engine hoist to hold it as you remove it. I hear, and the manual says to put the shift lever in forward position so that the shifting apparatus slides apart in the stern drive. Remove the snap ring that holds the gimbal bearing in place. The bearing on mine (1973 165 inline 6 ) has a nylon cage or cartridge around the bearing so the gimbal bearing pops right out with a slide hammer using and "inside puller". Honestly I cannot EVEN imagine how one would get the snap ring back in with the bellows and the bell housing in place. That is one manly snap ring. Just finished the bellows and gimbal on mine last week end. My u-joints seem fine. I'll grease 'em up and back together she goes after the engine is in. Changing the drive coupling on that.

Eric"

Back