Logo

NEED ALTERNATOR

I have an aq125b and i need an

I have an aq125b and i need an alternator and there is no way i am spending 300+ for it. Anyone have one or can i use an automotive one? I have a delco that come off of a chevy? would it be safe to use?

"Do not use automotive alterna

"Do not use automotive alternators unless you marinize them. Otherwise you are risking an explosion.

So a search in the forum, I have posted several times links to cheaper alternatives than the original alternators installed on VP packages."

"It is not too difficult to &#

"It is not too difficult to 'marinize' an alternator; especially the Delco one and two wire models. I did one last night, start to finish in under an hour.

On the Delco models, remove the four bolts holding the housings together. Remove the enclosure from the backside. This enclosure houses the screening that serves as the spark arrestor. Next split the housings apart and flip over the front housing. Remove the three bolts and ring that hold the frontside screening in place.

Now head down to Autozone and pick up an alternator for a 1985 1/2 ton pickup with a 350- $69 and a LIFETIME warranty. Split the housings and install the screening on the frontside. Then slide the backside external housing onto the housing before inserting the four bolts. Place the pulley back on and torgue the nut. Voila.

There are a few tricks to holding the brushes in place when you re-install the rotor. If there is an interest in this procedure perhaps I'll upload some pics..."

Back