Logo

Mystery starter wire?

Steelguyshaun

Hi all, new here. Just purchased this 2004 4 wins 17 LE With a Volvo penta 3.0 GL. The engine starts right up and runs fine, I have everything else working well except I have no Voltage or oil pressure Gauge readings. There is this strange black wire hanging By the starter and comes out of The same wiring harness as the rest of the starter wires. I put a meter on it with the engine running and it has 13 V, charging Volt. Any idea where this wire is supposed to go or if it has anything to do with either non functioning Gauge?

My guess it is a 16 GA wire that's BLK with a BLU tracer...if it has +12VDC on it, see if it goes to ZERO with the key OFF. If that happens, its for the R terminal that may NOT be on that solenoid...really couldn't tell. Looks like the starter has been replaced.

If that's what it is and it starts ok, I'd just tape it back on itself.

On the gauges, if some work and some don't then its either the +12VDC or the GND lead that has opened up somewhere in the 'daisy chain'.

As far as the pic goes, the board was set up so that you had to have made FIVE posts before it would let you add the attachment...looks like you've found a work around.

on the starter, there should be a fuse on the activating wire of the solenoid. this fused wire powers all the ignition switch components in the dash. My guess is that someone wired around it and removed both the fuse and the wire that attached to it. in the picture below, you can see the fuse. on my 5.7, there is te wire from the battery and then the fuse with the wire to the dash all on that upper solenoid pin.
$_57.jpg

Back