Logo

Mystery solved perko switches - Thanks!

Dan Eagle

Thanks all especially ricardo Marine and fastjeff - fastjeff you called it right. In spite of the perkos being 4 position switches (1,2,all,off) , when I took them down to check the connections I found both switches were being used as on/off with each taking a lead from a separate battery to position number 1 and then on to one engine - there was nothing on position 2 of either switch. There is also a line from each switches number 1 pole to a parallel start solenoid controlled at the helm. That switch is not operational right now but I'm thinking it died of old age (1987 OEM). If I can replace the solenoid I think I will keep the setup for now with each battery starting an engine and suppling half the house load since I can join the 2 main batteries that way and always have the genny with its own battery for backup. I am rarely on the hook for more than a night so load on the batteries is minimal and I'd prefer to keep it as simple as possible. I have a small concern however with drawing down the battery which powers the refrigerator too far. Would there be a problem to use the parallel switch to combine the 2 batteries while I'm on the hook to share the house load between the two group 31s overnight? I'm thinking I'd need to make sure to un-parallel them while charging (each is on its own line from the 3 bank charger and each from an alternator). I guess I could also combine them by connection pole 2 of each perko but then I'd have to go into the bilge each time. Thoughts? I'd also appreciate a recomendation on a new parallel solenoid. Looks like Blue sea is well regarded. Thanks

Back