Logo

mysterious exhaust smoke

realcaptron

Regular Contributor
Folks, on my older raw water cooled 454's, they have been running great and still so but.......last weekend when putting around about 1500 rpms, I noticed a never before seen darkish brownish grayish smoke coming out of starboard exhaust pipe, with still good water flow and all gages normal. Temp was reading 140ish and I verified that with ir. The engine appeared to be running smoothly. but I was worried about it and returned to the dock. But before I got to the dock, all exhaust was smoke-free again and at the slip, I could not get the smoke to reappear with increased rpms in neutral. I checked the oil and it looks primo and level is good. What was that darkish smoke?

Sounds like you may have run through some surface oil/pollutant on/in the water

That's an interesting theory, but my raw water intakes are only about 8" apart. Only one engine spit the weird smoke. I will check the plugs as Johnny suggested , and scratching my head at what else it could be. It occurs to me that the seawater enters a trans/v-drive cooler before proceeding to engine, and could it be that the cooler failed internally and mixed with trans or v drive fluid, but if that was the case, the smoke would not have cleared up, right? Or could the carb have momentarily dumped a bunch of fuel down there that couldn't burn and was expelled? It was not a pretty smoke. It wasn't black like you might see on a diesel, but it was brownish. And went away.

maybe some of that infamous pacific algae that grows out there?????

I can't say I've ever seen the tint you described.....and excess fuel almost always yields black....

Back