Logo

Mysterious engine 'whine' when in neutral or reverse

wild.coast

New to me 2014 Yamaha F50LB. Ran it last season without issues. This past winter decided to do a full 100hr service last fall (lower unit, spark plugs, fresh ignition cables, etc). Now engine seems to run fine when moving but intermittently when shifting into neutral or reverse it makes a 'whining' noise - definitely doesn't sound right and not always there! Sometimes it makes it when in forward gear but super low rpm. As soon as I get it going it sounds completely normal!

It's hard to describe the noise so here is a little video! https://photos.app.goo.gl/SriGYh4ExesfieRR9

I'm at a loss as what might be the issue. I followed the factory service manual to the t when doing all the service. Any ideas??

How did you fill lower unit gear oil ?----Check oil level in lower unit.----Check timing belt.----Run with the prop off the motor.----Just ideas as I can not touch your motor.

How did you fill lower unit gear oil ?----Check oil level in lower unit.----Check timing belt.----Run with the prop off the motor.----Just ideas as I can not touch your motor.
For the lower unit, I had the unit level and filled it with a little hand pump until the top port was consistently flowing oil without bubbles.

I did spray the entire engine with Yamaha silicone spray, which I remember seeing as recommended by a Yamaha tech on Youtube -> I tried to avoid spraying the belt, but I wonder if it could be slipping a bit with a bit of silicone residue on it?

Running without prop is a good idea, I'll try that. Anything else that might be helpful to diagnose it? I have the Yamaha software installed so was going to check for codes in case there are any as well.

Back