Logo

Mysterious Coolant Issue 5.7L Crusader MPI

Inboardman

New member here. I’ve been using this forum for a number of years as a reference and found the posts here very valuable to troubleshooting odds and ends. I have a challenging problem now and after searching and reading many posts on the subject am still struggling to understand what is going on. Hoping you guys can help shed some light on it.

Background:
2006 Crusader Captain’s Choice 5.7 MPI. Just installed a new long-block GM crate engine. Reused most of the dressing including HE. Pressure tested HE (cold) before installing, no leaks. I have about 5-6 hours on the engine in break-in. Runs great, no problems with the engine itself. No overheating happening.

Issue:
The coolant overflows the reservoir cap when I run under load at about 2,800 RPM and above. No bubbles in the reservoir as I can tell, just coolant. This is a pressurized reservoir, not after a pressure cap. When it’s in this state with coolant overflowing I feel the hoses on the FW side and they seem pumped up about what I would expect. Temperature seems normal at 160-170. The strange thing is that when the system cools down I can’t see air getting sucked back in, for the most part the reservoir stays full. So far it has dumped out several pints of coolant into the bilge but the level remains high. I removed the overflow reservoir and pressure tested it and noticed the cap was cracking at about 7psi bleeding off pressure all the way down to 1 psi so I replaced the cap. Retested with the cap and now it cracks closer to 10psi and shuts off at 7 psi. The chamber holds at 7 psi, no leaks that I can tell.

Yesterday I removed the thermostat and ran it and temp stayed at 120F until I went WO for a minute then it came up to 135F and coolant came out the cap shortly after when backing down to 3,000 RPMs. It seemed to do better without the thermostat in terms of leakage out the cap. I used an IR gun and everything on the engine seems to be running about what the gauge says, except the manifolds which are 10 degrees higher. I installed a new 170F Crusader thermostat so that appears to good, I can see it open at 170F.

One thing I found when cleaning up the old reservoir was that the de-gas connection was completely blocked, so I drilled a 1/8” hole through so coolant can flow freely from the top of the filter neck. I drilled through a bunch of rusty crap but couldn’t tell if there was actually something substantial I drilled through, or just some metal crap that was caught in there. I looked to see if there was supposed to be some form of check valve there but can’t find any info on it so presume not. This is the same reservoir used in Volvo trucks and I suppose some Volvo Penta applications. Seems pretty simple.

I haven’t pressure tested the entire FW side of the system yet, that is next. Also, it looks like the coolant may be lighter in color than I would expect, so it’s possible it has been diluted with salt water. I will do a sample of that tonight vs. a fresh AF mix. However, the only way this could be happening is if the breach in the HE only happens when hot. I can’t explain how the fresh side could receive salt water from the HE (perhaps during cooldown) and yet hold enough pressure when at higher RMP’s to dump coolant out of the cap. I was wondering if there is some sort of test I can do to see if there is salt water in the coolant. If I crack the cap after a half hour or so once the engine has stopped it still has some pressure and dribbles out of the cap.

Any ideas you guys have would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Welcome to ME.com!

What you are calling the reservoir is usually called the degas bottle....and usually you have one or the other.

I'd say pressure test the closed coolant side and do the cap as well....and pay attention to the rating on the cap - the newer engines run with a higher pressure than the older engines....and make sure the cap seals on the degas bottle too.

What has been the maintenance done on the colling system?

Thanks Makomark,
The pressure test is next on the list. I did perform the pressure test on the degas bottle and new cap when out of the system, and it had no leaks.

Before installing the HE I pulled the caps and checked it out and did a pressure test on it by pressurizing the FW side to 7 psi with the caps off and looking for bubbles when I submerged it in water. I didn't see any. This was cold obviously so if there is leak which only occurs when hot I wouldn't see it, but this seems an unlikely mode of failure. The HE looked generally OK with only a bit of scale. I had no overheating before and no coolant loss with the old engine. The coolant I pulled out of the old engine was pretty brown and sludgy, but I contributed that to breakdown of the DexCool which was several years old.

Raw water pump impeller is new, risers are barely warm so I have good RW flow. Since the engine with no thermostat runs a cool 120F at cruise I feel the HE is cooling fine.

cool...now you know you need to check the coolant more frequently....

if you have a 16PSI capyou'll want to test it at that and then some - most testers are mark as such.

Update:
Last night I pressurized the system and found a few things:
New cap which is a 75kpa (11psi) bleeds down to about 5psi after cracking. Not good...new one on order.
I left it charged with 11psi with a pressure regulator on the input for an hour starting with the degass bottle full. After an hour the bottle was nearly empty, so presumably this went through the HE into the raw water side.

So this morning ordered a new heat exchanger, cap and degas bottle just to cover all the bases.

The combination of a cap that bleeds off pressure and a compromised HE makes sense as to the symptoms. Now a good flushing is in order to get the seawater/coolant combo out of my new engine.

Yes, in future I will keep a better eye on the coolant and zinc in the HE which was gone. This was an expensive lesson, but since the HE was original to 2006 it was probably a good idea to get a new one to match the new engine anyway.

Last edited:
re:.....breakdown of the DexCool which was several years old.
mmmm.... the coolant on the FW side of my 5.7L looked like it came out of the bottle yesterday after 5 seasons ( accidently slipped and stepped stepped on one of those #$%%^ blue plugs.... which I replaced with a brass plug!) topped off the system and 5 seasons later during a H/E inspection, still looked pristine.

Update:
Last night I pressurized the system and found a few things:
New cap which is a 75kpa (11psi) bleeds down to about 5psi after cracking. Not good...new one on order.
I left it charged with 11psi with a pressure regulator on the input for an hour starting with the degass bottle full. After an hour the bottle was nearly empty, so presumably this went through the HE into the raw water side.

So this morning ordered a new heat exchanger, cap and degas bottle just to cover all the bases.

The combination of a cap that bleeds off pressure and a compromised HE makes sense as to the symptoms. Now a good flushing is in order to get the seawater/coolant combo out of my new engine.

Yes, in future I will keep a better eye on the coolant and zinc in the HE which was gone. This was an expensive lesson, but since the HE was original to 2006 it was probably a good idea to get a new one to match the new engine anyway.
How did you pressure test the engine above 75KPa? I have been looking for an adaptor to go on my Degas Bottle to replace my 75 KPA cap without success. I'm getting a leak only when under heavy load at higher RPM. Very difficult to diagnose. Pressure holds at 10 PSI under normal temperature and no load.

He suggests that his degas bottle is the same as used on the volvo trucks...I looked thru the Assenmacher adapter flyer and they show their volvo adapter to be the same as their Ford adapter and show the thread size as:
M49 x 2.5 Buttress Threads

FWIW, most attempts to revive old threads don't pan out...

Back