Logo

My lift motor is fubar

mklein

Not sure if this post is appropriate anywhere on forums but couldn't seem to post in misc. section.

Pointers w/be appreciated or confirmation of triage.

My lift motor seems to have gone south with boat in lift....a 21' searay.

Up direction works but down doesn't stop going down even when I use manual toggle switch and flip up or use wireless remote. I am not sure whether a relay in motor/panel is bad or perhaps "brake" in motor. Even when I flip power at breaker lift still "hyper spools" downward for perhaps 3 seconds...kinda scary...especially when you're the only one around.

I realize there is danger involved here, am considering hiring somebody if no part of this is fixable by myself. I am considering using 6 chain/hook systems or perhaps 6 come alongs (with appropriate friends to help).

My last experience with comealongs though (to lift a treehouse) didn't go well as there wasn't enough strength between me and my brother to even lift one side of a small treehouse.

If there is some relay I can clean? Then perhaps I don't need to remove the motor from the lift.

Although I have a full size lift I know gearing? isn't strong enough to lift boats up larger/heavier than mine so perhaps it is time for new motor AND gearing and I should just bite the bullet.

Boat needs repair too (fuel flow issues) and now I have to fix my liftmotor before even getting to the boat repairs...sigh.

thanks all.

mike

chief, i think he is talking about his boat lift, you know the one that lifts his boat out of the water. atleast that's how I understood it? :confused:

I like helping people but if i can't understand what the problem is i can't help to him this must be a big problem i'm sure, to him, and in desperation he posted here, we can help if we know what it is that the problem is.

Maybe a problem different part of the wold maybe.

sounds like some relay contacts might have welded themselves together. What brand of remote?
If it's only in one direction, I wouldn't suspect the motor starter contacts (assuming single phase centrifugal)

My remote receiver box has a toggle switch on it so I can isolate if any problems between the remote and the box. Or I forget the remote.

I have a "Remote-all" brand- been working flawlessly for 12 years. For what you might spend diagnosing, I would recommend looking at Remote-All. They are cheap and awesome. 750' range on the remote.

http://www.remoteall.ca/

Back