Logo

My friend hit a rock

bagpipeswest

I get the boat back and she te

I get the boat back and she tells me that the boat would not go into fwd or reverse and then it started to over heat. The boat is a 120hp force L drive. the prop is bent and the fin below the prop on the lower leg is broken off. The nut that holds the prop on was so lose you could pull the prop out a 1/4 inch. The nut is not stipped

Can I get a lower leg for it?
Can I weld a new piece on?

What else did she break inside the leg
what kind of tests should I do

"Brent, even though you are a

"Brent, even though you are a Navy dog, I'll try and give you an answer
(I'm retired Cdn Airforce)...

Sounds like for sure the prop is toast and the seals are now blown and possibly ruined one of the propshaft bearings.

Hopefully the propshaft itself and gears are still servicable (could be quite difficult to locate a forward gear in particular).

The "fin" (skeg) can be mostly removed and replaced (there's a kit).

You are going to have to pull the lower unit and at least partially strip it down to see what all is wrong - hopefully the case isn't cracked as well.

If you need the services of a shop it could get quite expensive. However, many parts for the lower unit are still available from Merc.

A new lower is out of the question - discontinued and were almost 4 grand when they were available.

Finding a used one could be a challenge. The 120 L-Drive was only built for 3 years (but in 6 different versions) and they were never all that popular.

Figure out what's wrong or get an estimate from a shop - you may find that replacing it with another motor is the more cost effective solution.

Sorry - hope she is a really good friend..."

well I got the lower leg off a

well I got the lower leg off and it looks ok. I had to pull the motor. the little spline shaft that slides into the motor was broken. I guess things could be worse.
How much is it to make and weld a skeg back on

"A replacement skeg can go any

"A replacement skeg can go anywhere from about 25 bucks to 100 (for ready made) - depending on if you simply want a plain alumimum job or the latest "hi-tech" replacement

Most Marine dealers can get one to fit your motor (they come in fairly generic sizes).

Your costs are set by "how fancy" you want and whatever a welder charges you at the local shop.

Just do a websearch for "replacement skeg" and you will see all that's on the market..."

well I took the leg in and the

well I took the leg in and the pieces. It will be 200 to fit and weld a new skeg on. 186 for a new prop. 86 for the drive shaft spine. and some more for a few more bits.

Back