Logo

My first time out with BF5 and not good.

Hessian

So this weekend I took out my brand new Honda Bf5 on my first fishing trip in Colorado. Prior to going out I filled the oil and gear oil as instructed in my manual while mounted on a engine block mount. I took the engine out per the break in instructions the first day and I found that I leaked oil from the head unit as soon as I tipped it up when mounting the engine on the boat. The engine ran just fine with the green pressure light on. DAY 2, Oh boy... It ran fine as we were trolling the lake as slow as it could go and all was good. We then decided to call it a day and it wouldn't increase in speed just stayed where it was with little increase of the throttle. I prayed we would make it in and now assume it was the "safe mode" to limit damage. I just went to the garage after letting it sit for a few hours to check the oil and assumed it would be low. SURPRISE, the oil is in fact reading high. I was careful to be exact when filling it for the first time with oil, how could it be higher. What is my next step and do i need to take it to a dealership for help? This is my first outboard that was purchased to finally go fishing after my retirement.

Please share wisdom and recommendations.

Ouch!
What a rude beginning!

Sorry you're having trouble.

I don't have an answer for you but am wondering if your engine oil has been contaminated.

If you didn't actually overfill the crankcase by mistake then the only possibility is that the oil is contaminated by something.

The only two things that would likely enter the crankcase would be either water or gasoline.

If it was water raising the oil level it would probably cause at least some discoloration.

You didn't mention discoloration so that makes the possibility of gasoline causing the oil level to rise a more likely possibility.

Does the oil smell of gas?

Compare the consistency of your crankcase oil with some fresh oil.

If the oil in your engine seems thinner than it should be or smells of gasoline then your only recourse is to take the outboard to the dealer and have them diagnose why that might have happened.

An engine that's operated with gas contaminated oil will suffer bearing damage fairly quickly.

I wish you luck with it.

One other thing that came to me is that I have never purchased a new outboard. Therefore, I don't know how they are shipped.

Are you positive that the oil sump was completely empty before you filled it?
If it already had oil in there then the overfill could have caused foaming as you ran the engine.
Foaming is not good because it entrains air into the oil and makes it difficult for the oil pump to remain primed. This would result in low oil pressure and the engine protection system would begin reducing power as you described.

Good luck...

...again.

Back