Logo

my first post....05 4.3 Vortec...white foam in bildge

jj71

Hi all,
I'm looking for advice,
Ran my 05 4.3 for 8 straight hours last week and after running 15 miles at a modest cruise when I throttled back the engine sounded real bad. Initially sounded like five cylinders running and a pretty bad tick. Upon inspection when getting home the crankcase oil seems perfect, clear, new (just changed at winterization) but I did notice a fair amount of white oil/foam in the bottom of the bilge area...almost like it had been sprayed out. My question is where do I start to look? I was just going to chalk it up to a cracked block but now it seems like it could be a head or something. I will check the plugs and start from there I suppose? Being on a budget I want/need to repair myself.

Thanks in advance

PCV valve hose blow off? How much foamy oil is in the bilge and what part...port, starboard, fore or aft of the engine? Is the OD oil reservior full?

My engine is gone :(
Looking at a remn mercruiser plus 4v but upon reading the specs these buggers use wet joint manifolds? I believe my 05 motor has dry joint. Should I be worried?

Also I was looking at a full closed cooling system with the new engine but was told it's really not worth it, any truth to that?

the wet or dry joint is where the manifold and elbow meet and they need to be the same type.

As a rule, the closed cooling system is worth the cost, assuming your engine compartment has the space...the key question is who is doing the reman and where did they get the block they are providing...

My engine is gone :(
Looking at a remn mercruiser plus 4v but upon reading the specs these buggers use wet joint manifolds? I believe my 05 motor has dry joint. Should I be worried?

Also I was looking at a full closed cooling system with the new engine but was told it's really not worth it, any truth to that?

Ayuh,... Yer Old manifolds may be serviceable,... Sell whichever ya don't need,...

Closed coolin' is Great in the brine,...

In sweetwater, it ain't necessary,..

the wet or dry joint is where the manifold and elbow meet and they need to be the same type.

As a rule, the closed cooling system is worth the cost, assuming your engine compartment has the space...the key question is who is doing the reman and where did they get the block they are providing...

Yes i know what the dry joint/wet joint is my question is to should i be worried about using a wet joint old technology manifold.

The engine I'm considering is a bobtail reman from Mercruiser factory.
The 4.3l 4v alpha plus series.....they use wet joints.

As far as the closed cooling goes my mechanic says he has taken apart engines that have it and ones that don't and said the difference is not worth the cost.

Back