Logo

My First Outboard J8RCRM Help

jt17545

Hey guys/gals. I am new to boating and just purchased a 1984 J8RCRM for my 14ft Jon Boat. It was said to have run a few years ago. Very clean looking or age. Seems to have good compression. Propeller spins freely in N and moves correctly in F and R. I am as you would say very new to boating and outboards. Is there anything besides spark plugs and gear oil I should do to it before I try and do a first time start?? Thanks for the help.

Long time no start it dont hurt to fog the motor first also. Get a can of fogging oil or seafoam and spray it into the carb fully open while pulling the rope. disconnect the plugs so it dont start. That lubes the bearings and seals for the initial start.

And while lower unit is off to replace the impeller connect a water supply to the water tube to make sure you get a good flow. The grommet at the top in 6 and 8 models around that age in particular can block the water flow.

Must do job together with a new impeller on my 6CRM.

ive heard of that. I guess ill get a rebuild kit. I guess just after so much research I found this one and its clean as a whistle I mean all electrodes inside are spotless all linkage looks great sounds like great compression even the spark plus look new. ive done allot of work as a mechanic on autos and lawn and garden equipment and this looks better then most things ive seen after 1 year of use. lets hope I got a good deal. I bought this plus an evinrude same model for $200 from someone who doesn't know anything about boats. they said they inherited it.

Back