Logo

MY 1966 40hp Johnson is leaving large globs of oil water mix when running it in a test tank.

BAlan

I have fixed the lower gear case so it doesn't leak. Now the motor is leaving large globs of oil water mix when I run it in a test tank. Where is the oil coming from and how do I clean up the discharged water/oil mix. I have added soap to the test tank is hopes of cleaning out the source of the oil to no avail. I get lots of bubbles but it doesn't solve the problem. I checked the compression and it's 90 over 88psi. This is a 2 cycle motor. Could there be enough oil blowing by the piston rings to cause the mix? If not where is the oil coming from. I don't want to take itout to a lake because of the discharge. Any ideas?

<p>
It has nothing to do with the rings !!----Test compression with another gauge.----Or remove a bypass cover to look at the pistion / rings.------------At the bottom of the piston stroke the intake and exhaust ports are wide open.----Some of the fresh fuel oil mixture goes right out the exhaust.----That is what you are seeing.-----Solve this isue with a new 4 stroke if it bothers you too much.-----Reason why 2 strokes are frowned on in many areas.----Thermostat in place and working properly ?----Running 50:1 mix ?----What kind of oil ?</p>

You mix oil with the gas. Guess where that oil goes? Every drop of it goes through the engine as the gas is consumed. Some is burned (smoke) and some goes out the exhaust, and emulsifies withh water. That is the goo you are seeing. There is no cure, rather than making sure the motor is properly tuned and and adjusted. And get it out of that tank and on a boat where it was designed to be used. It will be much cleaner on a boat when running properly. If it bothers you, use 100% synthetic TCW bio degradeable oil at 50-1 mix.

Pretty much the norm running a two stroke outboard in a test tank,thats why they make products to add to the tank to help keep it clean.Drain your test tank,degrease it and refill.I was always more concerned when you would see a light sheen of oil and gas mix floating on the surface of the water.

Back