Logo

Motors without ID #bs

benjamin_jones

Regular Contributor
"Hi all!

I've been pe

"Hi all!

I've been perusing the posts this chilly Autumn morning.

I read that there are many motors without ID #'s.

From my [albeit limited] understanding, there should be some numbers of sorts on the transom bracket and powerhead.

I believe that re-built powerheads have their numbers removed by the shop and that the flimsy decals fall off the transom brackets due to wear and tear.

Considering that I stay in Africa, there would be very few buyers here that would touch a rig sans decent identification.

It just seems strange that there would still be buyers looking at incomplete goods...

Any views would be greatly appreciated.

Roll on winter!"

"By ID #'s, I mean serial

"By ID #'s, I mean serial numbers. Not part numbers.

Sorry, living in fear of my wife with a loaded shotgun
rofl.gif
"

"You too!

Just sold an old

"You too!

Just sold an old Merc of mine so, naturally, I bought another to replace it.

Yes, I did hear from her on that!

Jeff"

"Benjamin - if the (rebuil

"Benjamin - if the (rebuild) is a OEM/Factory job they will normally put in a new welsh plug with a new serial that can be identified as a reman etc.

I haven't seen alot of private builders that bother popping the plug since they are only dealing with a single client - so normally the serial would still be there.

I would suspect that many of the listings you are seeing "without serials" is simply guys/gals that are unaware that there is even a serial somewhere on the motor - it's like that on this side of the big pond as well
"

"That's good serial (p

"That's good serial (production) number Mark.

0B145612 (there is always a Zero in front of the number - but usually not stamped in the welsh plug).

Built in 1987, most likely sold as a New 88.

I have that serial listed as a 6 cylinder model (?) is yours a 6 or a 3 cylinder (just curious if my lists are messed up a bit)..."

Back