Logo

Motors stuck in gear

ruinz

I have a 1970 johnson 50hp out

I have a 1970 johnson 50hp outboard. I went out to the lake to go fishing. The outboard ran great across the lake. We fished for 2hrs and then I went to start it and it wouldnt start. I noticed when I turned it over the prop turns. It wont go into neutral at all. I removed all linkages at the motor with no avail. I have tried evey adjustment known to man. Any ideas? or do you have some TNT? So I can dispose of this thing. Ive had nothing but problems with this motor.

is that hydro electric shift/o

is that hydro electric shift/or manual
try to explain the problems you are having
whats the model #

"Considering the motors age, w

"Considering the motors age, what its worth, and the fact that you've had nothing but problems with it. Why not just junk it?"

"Model #50ESL71S, its a hydro

"Model #50ESL71S, its a hydro electric shift. The lower unit has two solenoids on top of each other, is there a way to check these or can i energize them without damaging them. Its stuck in forward gear. It wont start because of that. I think im in the right area of the problem any info will help thanks."

"It defaults into forward gear

"It defaults into forward gear, when stopped.Engine needs to be turning to operate the hyd. pump."

"well i had a 72 50 hp
maybe

"well i had a 72 50 hp
maybe i can shed a little light on the subject
those engines/gearcases do that for a reason
in case of an electrical failure there will be no juice to control shifting so it goes into forward,its spring loaded.(failsafe)
first have you changed the gear oil lately
(the wrong oil will cause this)(typ c ONLY)
in your case i am thinking its electrical
check your voltage output/battery conn"s
and big red plug ,clean as needed.
the wires ,coming from the low unit green / blue
in neutral 12v to green only
and in rev 12v to both
here is a test you can try.
disconnect green and blue apply voltage to green
from 12v supply and crank,engine must spin for gears to move.if that puts it in N then try voltage to both blue and green
that should put it in R.

if anyone else any more input on this jump in
it been a little while since i had one of these."

"it is spr loaded,in forward--

"it is spr loaded,in forward--for secure engagement....great unit...not many people,know/understand them,..nor wk on them,at a shop"

"i know em,backwards & for

"i know em,backwards & forwards...but,i dont see em either.....1 every 3 yrs....repairs on those r not cheap."

Back