Logo

Motor won’t crank

hockeyron07

I have early 90s Mariner 25hp outboard that won’t crank. I have already confirmed the key switch is working, the neutral switch is working within the forward control box, and I replaced the starter solenoid. The motor will crank if I bypass the starter solenoid but I can’t figure out why it won’t work. I don’t see anything loose on the starter solenoid and it has good voltage across the terminals but it’s obviously something up stream of the solenoid. I am going to try bench testing the starter solenoid but other than that I don’t know what else to look for. Maybe just trace the wiring back to the battery?

I have early 90s Mariner 25hp outboard that won’t crank. I have already confirmed the key switch is working, the neutral switch is working within the forward control box, and I replaced the starter solenoid. The motor will crank if I bypass the starter solenoid but I can’t figure out why it won’t work. I don’t see anything loose on the starter solenoid and it has good voltage across the terminals but it’s obviously something up stream of the solenoid. I am going to try bench testing the starter solenoid but other than that I don’t know what else to look for. Maybe just trace the wiring back to the battery?
Update: The original starter solenoid tests fine on a bench (or at least I can hear it click and it has connectivity) so that seems like it rules out all the parts except the wiring?

Back