Logo

Motor seems like it's surging?

Rjybilcom

Put the boat in the water today. I have a 15' fiberglass tri-hull, used to be a ski boat with a 45 hp Johnson. When I bought it, the guy had a Nissan 3.5 on it. Barely pushed it, more like a trolling motor than anything else. Found a used 1972 Evinrude 25 hp, motor cranks and runs, takes a few minutes to warm up. So when it's in neutral, have to keep goosing the throttle to keep it from dying. On the indicator collar, it's on fast. So in forward and twisting the throttle as much as it will go, it seems like it is surging. My nephew said his was doing that and his impeller was bad. This motor doesn't have the tell tell?, I think maybe water is discharged through the foot?

Not sure how much it pertains to your issue , but you should def check the water pump when buying an engine that old . When buying ANY used engine for that matter .
So start from there

It should not take a few minutes to warm up.----Check thermostat.----Often they fail stuck open.------Check o-rings in fuel line fittings.-----Yest compression , post your numbers.-----Test spark, should jump a gap of 1/4" on a test device.

Back