Logo

motor removal in water

amantinori

Contributing Member
im fed up with the marina but as always they have the dam lift to get the boat out of the water for the short haul. trying to avoid that, is there any way any of you guys have gotten the motor out of the boat while in the water? I intend to completely strip it while in the boat and might be able to lift the block out with 2 guys. I want to replace my 2nd motor this year and want to bypass the marina guys. I have the typical floating dock setup

Mount a engine lift on the piling(bolt a metal 4foot piec on the piling slide the engine lift in the metal piece so it can rotate get a and extendable arm one pull the motor out set it on a rollable (2 foot pallet with HD casters)

roll her ole bones on out

I've replaced my engine twice in the water. It was easier for me than doing it on land. I have a hard top and drilled a hole in it. I then used a large piece of one inch thick aluminum supported by a couple of 4 x 4 timbers to spread the weight over to the edges of the top house. I drilled a hole in the center of the aluminum plate and put an eye up through it from over the engine room. A hoist did the rest. Once it was on deck in the house, I slid it outside with a home made wooden engine cradle on heavy duty cardboard. I used my kicker to drive to the crane dock, where ten bucks crane rental let me put the engine in my pickup for transport to my garage. A regular engine hoist and engine stand from that point on. This worked for my boat, might not for yours. I've had offers to have a fork lift or back hoe hoist it out going in through the back door, but it was easier to do it the way I outlined. My Uniflite has a stout enough house that I didn't even need to take the engine apart before I removed it, nor did I remove the transmission from the engine in the boat. I did this myself, without help from anybody. If you don't have a stout top house, a home made a-frame would work as well. A bare Chrysler small block weighs 160 pounds and a crank another 60. Two guys trying to horse that out of an engine room by hand doesn't sound like fun to me. Having to take the new motor apart to put it in by hand isn't appealing either. Good luck.

I'm with you on the marina. Ours is terrible... So I went to the shop across the lake and they have several trailer's and will take it out for free if doing the work. They had several large boats out doing repowers. Also i looked on ebay and there was a trailer for my 28 Trojan for 3K. I considered buying it !!

Hey greasemonkey is that trailer a custom or did you buy that i have a 31 ft pacemaker i have ben trying to find a trailer for it and evreyone i call says you need a hydraulic can you give me the specs. on yours thnks jason.

Its a Load Rite TRiple Axle 5500 lbs axles (torsion) I did some things to it to make it work with the prop shafts but

Went with what the stringers where inside the boat to catch the meat

I also made a 1 piece guide on post (well its 3 pieces but the bends are in one piece to help me get it centered

Its no easy task and I spent hours upon hours getting ready for what the lord might bring came out good but its hard to telll where the other (widest) bunks will hit so I had numerous boards and those 2 pipe jack stands for cable reel, heres some other pics

Back