Logo

Motor only starts with gas in cylinders

Kastin

I have a 2000 Mercury 200 EFI OT157821 is the serial. Overall the motor runs perfect. Problem is, the motor only starts when I poor gas directly into the cylinders, then it’ll fire up and idle just fine, and take off fine. I can hear the pump running when I turn the key on. When the pump is on (at the schrader valve) I get 37psi, when the pump turns off I get 33psi. From what I read my fuel pressure is too spec. Anyone ever encounter this issue? Or know what to start checking? The low pressure pump to the filter also pushes out good fuel once running. I need ideas!

The ECU fires injectors when key is cycled to "start"... this is the choke. Sound like ECU needs sent off and tested

But if that was the case wouldn’t it not run even after putting fuel in the cylinders? I’ve been letting it sit for 2 hours now and it fired right up

It will start after setting as the crankcase is "wet". After some time the crankcase will "dry" due to heat and evaporation of remaining fuel

It will start after setting as the crankcase is "wet". After some time the crankcase will "dry" due to heat and evaporation of remaining fuel
On these motors, when the key just to on, and the fuel pump is priming, are the injectors supposed to fire into the cylinder even tho it’s not cranking yet?

Back