Logo

Motor is locked up

prizmatik

"I recently purchased a 15ft 1

"I recently purchased a 15ft 1981 SeaSwirl boat with a Johnson SeaHorse 75 that I believe is from 1960. Anyway, I took the boat out for the first time for about an hour and the motor did just fine. 2 days later I took it out again and the motor worked good for awhile. Then after the boat was parked for a few hours I took it out again and shortly thereafter, I notice the engine is bogging down a bit and the Ampre guage was discharging about 10 amps and the motor died. It was then stuck in gear and the motor was not turning over, it acted as if it was locked up. After a couple of minutes of playing with the gear selector it came out of gear and the engine turned over and started. I started driving and less than 30 seconds later the same thing happened and I couldnt get it out of gear at all. I had to be towed in. So as of now the motor is not turning, but I have fixed the gear selecting problem, the linkage near the propeller was disconnected. Anyway, can anyone point me in the correct area that may need work. Has anyone ever had a problem like this? Is there a typical part that may cause this? Thanks for the help."

Back