Logo

Motor Died Throttling out of dock

Mercman15

Hey all,

I have a 2009 (I believe) Merc 125 -4 stroke out board. Since winter began i put stabilizer in my fuel tank and covered it up. Tank left about half full. We’ve had some freezing temps, but we finally got a break in the weather at 50 degrees so I took it out. Started up alright, but as soon as I got out of the dock, I throttled up and the motor died. Seemed like I had to throttle more than usual to get the rpm’s up as well. I tried starting again a few times and nothing. Then I pumped the diaphragm a couple times trying to push fuel and still it didn’t start.

I’m thinking possible condensation build up is the issue so I planned on draining the fuel tank and getting some fresh gas in it. Boat injectors are two years old so I doubt they are bad.
anyways looking for a little guidance if possible. Appreciate your time.

My guess is poor fuel delivery either a restriction or failed pump. The condensation thing is a myth.

i checked both the small white fuel filters and blew through them. No apparent blockage and they had fuel. Would the engine start if the fuel pump failed? Or are you thinking it died when I throttled up? Appreciate your help.

Back