Logo

More questions about 1983 Glassmaster

douglasnc

Contributing Member
What model outdrive do I have on this old boat and what length does the trim cylinders need to be set at as far as upper limits?Had a bad limit and sending switch on it when I got it.Ordered the limit switch and didn't know the sending switch was bad also until I went to install the limit switch.Is the sending switch even needed if the boat doesn't have a trim gauge?It's on my to do list in the near future though.Any way, there was three different pictures in the instructions of different cylinders, but the eariler picture didn't look like my cylinder, so I went with the ALPHA ONE and set limit to 20 3/4"..Figured the earlier model should be what I needed, but it was shown inverted and looked too round .Alpha One looked more like what I have.Up-dated maybe? Sure isn't as much rise of drive as I thought it would be..(4.5")Does that sound correct?Serial number on gimble is all but worn off..Looks something like maybe COOO 51, but I can't tell for sure...One more thing.I can't locate the grease fitting for the gimble bearing. Can feel the shaft but just aint alot of room back there. Will try again soon.Thanks Again for the help!

You need a manual for 1983. Look on eBay for a merc. OD factory service manual. Post some pics. of the OD.

...Is the sending switch even needed if the boat doesn't have a trim gauge?...

No; you just have to have a good ear for what the prop is doing and turn around and look at the OD before starting it in case you forgot it is tilted ATW up.

It's not an alpha drive if it has a lifting ring on top of the OD. If I remember correctly the alpha 1 OD trim cylinder ext. limit is about 22" measured to the center of the outer connecting bolt. Look on the top starboard side close to the gimbal hsg. for a grease fitting. It may have a black cap on it.

One more thing.I can't locate the grease fitting for the gimble bearing. Can feel the shaft but just aint alot of room back there. Will try again soon.

Ayuh,.... It's Outside the boat, on the transom shield, at about 3 o'clock, maybe 3:30...

Yer 83 should be an MR, which for this purpose, is an Alpha 1....

Thanks guyjg and Bondo,Dosesn't have a lifting eye on it, and I found overlooked grease fitting right where bondo said it was, so it's an early Alpha one I guess. Was worried about greasing it .Great that it's so easy to do..Not like my 97 5.7 bayliner.You'r right, I do need to get a manual for this older craft. The only one I have at present is for 1992-1996 Alpha-1 Generation 2 sterndrives..But you guys explain things most times better than I can comperhend in the text.I appreciate you all sharing you'e knowlage.

Bt. Doctur et al:

I should have kept my factory manuals when I sold my Mercruiser w/A1 OD. Trouble shooting is so intriguing.

Ayuh,... I posted a thread called "Ayuh,... I have a Secret"....

The links are in there....

Enjoy my friend,.... ;)

Back