Logo

More on the 89's Belgian 70! 2Tmix, charge volts, temp?

Hey folks
I'm hoping to get a chance to run up this motor on the weekend, after a period of non-use (2 years or less), can you advise on the correct oil/fuel mix; I'm using Pemco TC-W3 spec oil, suggested is 50:1. That sound OK?
When checking battery charge voltage, what figures ought I to see, at say idle, mid, and max RPM? I know there is no regulator as such, so presumably the battery will be a load to soak some output up?
I have an infrared laser thermometer, can anyone advise specific or ballpark figures taken externally at various places, with air temp. c.17deg C, and how to check the warning system (light and/or alarm)?
Also, the wisdom (or not!) of using an ethanol free fuel, like Aspen or the like, as the 'last supper' fuel before putting the motor into store? I'll be using Sta-Bil when it is in use.

Thanx for taking the time to help me out, I'm sure more questions will follow, and I certainly do appreciate the help. Cheers'n'beers!

50:1 fuel mix is correct, expect to see 16.5v wot if no regulator, I hope you are using a wet battery. As for temp, I haventaclue. If I can hold my hand on the block for thirty seconds or so without loosing my skin, it's operating within spec.
Ethanol free if possible, and before putting into storage run some anti fogging oil into the carbs.

50:1 fuel mix is correct, expect to see 16.5v wot if no regulator, I hope you are using a wet battery. As for temp, I haventaclue. If I can hold my hand on the block for thirty seconds or so without loosing my skin, it's operating within spec.
Ethanol free if possible, and before putting into storage run some anti fogging oil into the carbs.

Got some E5 in it,can't easily get ethanol free, so will need to use it up or put Sta-Bil in it, already have fogging oil, use it in my bike engines. It is a wet battery, old systems don't like anything more modern I have found, so AGM and gel etc. are out. Can keep my hand on it quite a long time so far, the pisser is running but I can pinch it off, so pump rebuild is on the cards soon. Cheers!

E5 is everywhere now and I've heard that E10 is on the way, so drain carbs after use.
I live in hope someone can explain to me how adding ethanol is greener when you burn more ethanol diluted petrol getting from A to B which seems to lack the power of non ethanol, or is that my biased imagination?

toles-bio_fuels.gif

Back