Logo

More Faststrike questions…

J150GLEDB 150 Faststrike 96 MY. Had an issue earlier this year with it being in SLOW mode. Replaced both T-stats as well as port and starboard temp sensors. That did the trick. Fast forward to more recent time..went a few times and ran great but at WOT all it would muster was 4500 rpm. Prior to the SLOW mode deal she ran around 5500 and speed was on in mid 50s. 2 weeks ago I dumped the boat in and took off and zero hole shot. Pushed water for a hundred yards or so but finally broke over. Ran great aside from the 4500 rpm limit. Later that day I left the marina and it died. Bulb was soft. Went to prime it and gas spewd everywhere. The fitting cracked and broke that runs through the front of the midsection. Rigged it to make it home. Thought maybe that was my issue fuel/air leak. Went out today and no difference. Zero hole shot and low WOT rpm. Bulb stays hard. Ideas? She used to hop right up and be on pad in a short amount of time. Coils, power pack stator rectifier plugs wires optical sensor all less than 2 yrs old. Fuel pump a year old, filter new as well as primer and hose. Anti-siphon valve maybe? Stumped.

Test for spark.-----Spark on all 6 or just 3 cylinders ?----Check the shift switch on the motor.-----Find it near shift linkages on the motor.-----If stuck you lose spark on 3 cylinders.

Test for spark.-----Spark on all 6 or just 3 cylinders ?----Check the shift switch on the motor.-----Find it near shift linkages on the motor.-----If stuck you lose spark on 3 cylinders.
Funny you mention the shift switch. A couple times today when idling I shifted to neutral and it stayed in gear. Had to wiggle the shifter to get to true neutral.

Just checked spark. I have a Matco in-line spark tester. All 6 have good orange/purple spark. At idle. Shift switch seems ok. Shifting issue is probably just an adjustment. Guess I’ll double check some things. I have the OMC manual. Timing cause this? I have one of those EZ timer tools. Gotta be simple. I’ll run a compression test to be sure but a few months ago all 6 were 110-115.

You might check all 6 bowls just to make sure they are not warped. Also, check the BB plug on the side which is known to seep fuel as they age.

Checked carb bowls and bb on side. Jets were loose but nothing has changed. Still no hole shot, takes about 50yds to break over. Used to jump out of the hole-24 Raker prop. Still only pushing 4500 rpm WOT and 42 mph. Ran 5500 or so and mid to upper 50s until whatever has happened. Starting to thing maybe a coil or power pack is breaking down under a load? I keep reading about an anti siphon valve on the fuel tank. Could that be the issue? Presuming it has one.

Launch the boat.---Do some simple tests.----Run with a timing light 1 cylinder at a time.----Observe flashing light to full throttle.-----Next look into EACH carburetor bore with a strong flashlight as to go to full throttle.----Report whas you see.----Test run with a portable tank and hose.

I’ll definitely do your suggestions. I’m a car guy. 30 yrs with Dodge and mostly diesel trucks and heavy stuff plus electrical. I’m going through the manual ohm testing the coils and the top coil, right side should have 275ohm +\- 50. Starboard top coil only has 75. I know it’s bad but could 1 coil cause this whole issue? Figure it will/could. The rest check out within specs per the manual. I guess dropping 1 cylinder is not good on any engine.

Check that. The starboard bottom plug wire is open too. 2 cylinders not firing will cause problems. Have an extra coil but probably have to buy a set of wires. I’ll report back. Thanks for ALL the suggestions.

Check that. The starboard bottom plug wire is open too. 2 cylinders not firing will cause problems. Have an extra coil but probably have to buy a set of wires. I’ll report back. Thanks for ALL the suggestions.
Be sure to use the grey inductive wires. These OIS2000 ignitions are very particular about that stuff.

Man thanks for all the suggestions. I’m here at the lake now. She hopped right up on pad ran good. Best I could do in the dark. Coil and wire was the trick. One happy guy. For now.

Back