Logo

Mnifold torque

jbthehut

"Just installed new exhaust ma

"Just installed new exhaust manfolds on my 350 crusaders, I checked my manual for the torque value's and it says 20lbs (what).... I find that hard to beleive, I don't think I'm reading it wrong, but I have a hard time excepting 20lbs as the correct torque for an exhust manifold with 9/16 bolts. Whats the gang think about that."

"Not tight enough, and I don&#

"Not tight enough, and I don't use those fool things anyhow. (A torque wrench is the most destructive tool a mechanic can use!)

Simply tighten them until they're nice and snug, then put a half turn or so on each bolt. Fire her up, let her warm up fully, then repeat the above.

And you did remember to use anti-seize on those CLEAN threads, right (both the bolts and the holes they go in)?

Jeff"

"Ayuh,...

If you're usi

"Ayuh,...

If you're using a 9/16" Wrench,... They're 3/8" Bolts...

And,... 3/8" Bolts should be torqued to 35/ 40ft.lbs....."

"Bondo, good point, it is a 9

"Bondo, good point, it is a 9/16 head which makes a 3/8 bolt. I used 40lbs today and it seemed right. Jeff, anti-seize you bet, on the threads and the shafts. Inlet marine did the manifolds on these engines 9 years ago, the used anti-seize and they came off like they had been put on last week. So yes I used it, so the next person in line will not go though what Al went through with his.

By the way, the entire manifold project is complete and she purrrs like a kitten. Maybe I can get another 200hrs out of them."

"Rest assured, I bought a 16oz

"Rest assured, I bought a 16oz jar of anti-sieze and it is almost empty. Every thing was re-assembled with it, both engines. I hate to think that the next owner could have trouble taking the manifolds off. The way my luck runs...IT WOULD STILL BE ME! I even need to put some in my wallet so when I get gas this year, the money doesn't stick inside !"

Back