Logo

Missing a cylinder? '1990 Evinrude 60HP VRO

stryder

Hello,

Launched boat for first time this season. Had to crank it a bit, before remembered a had disconnected fuel line (duh).

Started right up. Seemed to idle a bit rough but usually a few revs and than off I go. A bit at higher throttle usually helps it clear its throat.

Started losing power, returned to dock, and it cut a few feet out - nice glide in. At dock I can start but it seems to run at higher revs but does not sound as smooth and quits at idle.

Here s video:
https://youtu.be/3u26kATfi5k

I had some fuel from last year still in tank. Engine was not fogged last year (dang it) but was stored inside. New fuel is 91 no ethanol. I added Seafoam too.

Would welcome any thoughts. My next step I think is pulling and replacing plugs, but it is Sunday and I am in rural area so may have to wait for Monday; although I will check in with local bait shop. Sometimes they have a small parts selection.

Thank you

Last edited:
Stryder Start by cleaning entire fuel system from inside of tank to engine. Have fuel separator, dump and inspect contents for debris,water.troubleshooting 101,compression test,spark test, You had old fuel in tank,old fuel in engine as well. Pull carbs and clean throughly!!Clean plugs and replace make sure plugs are right ones.

ok, all set. Had a marine mechanic look at it. Screw missing from carb flapper (wrong word). Found screw still in engine housing, may have come loose on 6 hour tow to vacation. So he took care of that. And also cleaned carbs removing varnish from my poor maintenance.

She is purring again...

Thanks for the suggestions though. Where I am now I did not have equipment to start on your list so went pro.

j

1990 60hp Evinrude. Screw was missing from carburetor flapper (wrong word). Found screw still in engine housing. Mechanic took care of that. Also cleaned carburetors.j

Styder..... Was that screw missing from the throttle butterfly "inside" the carburetor throat or on the outer linkage? If inside, the exposed end threads of the screw on the other side of the butterfly shaft should be tapped in a "X" fashion to prevent a repeat.

Styder..... Was that screw missing from the throttle butterfly "inside" the carburetor throat or on the outer linkage? If inside, the exposed end threads of the screw on the other side of the butterfly shaft should be tapped in a "X" fashion to prevent a repeat.

I will check that - that is a great tip. Thanks. Boat gets way more miles on trailer than on water.

Back