Logo

Minor re-wiring of 73' 65HP

jim18611865

Regular Contributor
While my starter is out getting rebuilt, I decided to replace the two battery to engine cables.
The three cables, (12V, GND and Controls) were sleeved in a tube about 1" ID 40" long.
The 12V was sleeved with a white jacket of some sort 16" from the solenoid forward. Likely because this is where it may encounter heat from the manifold. Will shrink tubing be OK for both of these applications?
Before I drop almost $50 for 2 pieces of shrink tubing, I'd like a few opinions.
Thanks

Jim

Use the corregated wire loom. Comes in several colrs; black, red, yellow. Use the red for positive, black for ground. Sleeve each wire and insert into a larger piece. It keeps them separated and protected from heat and chafing.

I likely won't be able to use anything but shrink tubing for the large one. The control connector is 1.5" in diameter.
1.5" won't fit through the hole in the lower cowling.
I may just skip the large one altogether.
Thanks

Wait a minute, that stuff is slit along the length, that might work.

Ideas are great. Since the corregated wire loom is slit length wise I simply used
what was there already, saving me from buying anything. It looks like it will work.
The rebuilt starter is amazing. I was told only one plastic bushing was replaced, and a good cleaning.
Thanks again.

Back