Logo

Minifolds

jbthehut

"1977 Crusader 350's 270h

"1977 Crusader 350's 270hp. what should the torq be for the manifold bolts and the riser bolts. Also in regards to ant-sieze, is there a prefered type or brand?

My OSCO manifolds and gasket kit came with a paper (maybe not paper) gasket, is this the best to use. I was wondering about metal, but it sounds like the metal ones might lead to the welding of manifolds to heads."

"I'm not a Marine Mechanic

"I'm not a Marine Mechanic, but I read an earlier post that said manifolds and risers should be set to 25 fp."

"One other additional question

"One other additional question, In my documentation for the OSCO manifolds I bought it said not to use teflon tape or pipe dope on any of the fittings, That kinda suprised me. I have seen posts from fastJeff about not using any sealant on gaskets due to potential blockage of water passages, would this be the same idea?"

"No, Jeff's concern is wi

"No, Jeff's concern is with silicone as gasket compound. Excess material can block passages.

The reasoning behind this theory is that in a blind bolthole, any sealant could create a hydralock condition which could prevent the bolt from tightening properly or give you false torque readings.

I don't adhere to that policy. If sealant is applied lightly and not on the very tip and the bolts are torqued slowly, allowing trapped air to escape the blind hole, the bolt can be torqued properly and you can still remove it 5 years later.

The fact is, most manifold bolts don't seize at the threads rather at the shoulder. Rust accumulation seizes the shoulder of the bolt to the manifold hole where the bolt passes through the cast iron manifold. That 's why you find that after you remove the head from a seized bolt and bang the manifold off, the remainder of the bolt usually comes out with relative ease.

Even if you don't want to put any sealant or anti-seize compound on the threads, at least put some on the shoulder of the bolt."

"Rick

I appriciate the resp

"Rick

I appriciate the response and the advice, I have every intention of using the antiseize on all of the bolts, especially on the shafts. I was more curious about the manufacturer recomending against the use of teflon tape or other sealers on various pipe fittings or plugs in the manifolds. Can you recomend any particular brand of antiseize?"

"Well that hasn't worked o

"Well that hasn't worked out too well in the past. Carter pumps told Crusader that their fittings were so precise they did not want any sealant used during installation of their fuel pumps as part of Crusader's assembly process. A coastguard recall shortly followed (#SUC-0305-01) due to fuel leaks at the pump fittings. What was the cure. Remove fittings, apply thread sealant, reassemble.

I use Rectorseal #5 or Loctite #565. Both are good on most liquids including fuel.

Good luck,
Rick"

"I believe the concern is abou

"I believe the concern is about overtightening, and cracking the casting. use a liquid sealer on the plugs,etc. and don't go nuts tightening them."

Back