Logo

MILKY OIL IN OUTDRIVE

pocono97

89 bayliner 5.8 ford engine 5.

89 bayliner 5.8 ford engine 5.0 omc outdrive
i just change the outdrive oil after one ride in the lake when i came back i check the oil (outdrive) and it was milky color? i guess its a water in the oil what do i have to order and change?
thanks a lot benny

"Benny...you'll need to fi

"Benny...you'll need to find out where the water is coming in and this usually means doing a pressure/vacuum test to see where the leak is. Common places are the prop shaft seals or even the seals on the drain, vent and dipstick screws. There is a seal on the upper shaft to keep the oil in but no seal to keep water out if your drive bellows has water, it can get into the upper from there. Sorry no quick answer unless you pull the prop and see some fishing line around the shaft or if one of the seals was left off one of the screws I mentioned."

"Bob thank you for all your he

"Bob thank you for all your help giving me all the time ,im loving this work on my boat and im doing all my self whith all ur help in here thanks thanks ....i did see some water in the upper shaft ,(bellows) what do i have to do to stop the water going to upper shaft bellows?"

"There shouldn't be any wa

"There shouldn't be any water in the drive shaft bellows, I would suspect a hole or a tear in it, you will have to replace it. The water will destroy the gimbal bearing and the u-joints in time."

"Benny...don't know how lo

"Benny...don't know how long you've had water in the drive shaft bellows but feel the gimbal bearing as you turn it, should be nice and smooth with no roughness at all. If the u-joints feel nice and tight and don't show any rust, grease them good and maybe you'll be ok."

Very common to find the o-ring

Very common to find the o-rings on the driveshaft are bad and causing the leak. Like was mentioned pressure test the outdrive in water looking for the bubbles.

Back