Logo

Mid 90’s Johnson 50 horse fuel issues

Scotty D

Hello all, new to the forum and boats in general.
Anyways working on a boat for a friend of mine, said it was running rough or hardly at all and wanted it to be made reliable and run correctly. I’m thinking ok, an older two stroke, clean the carbs/rebuild them then she’ll be good as new.

Fast forward a month month and still messing with it.

I have replaced the tank as it had it had a cracked filler neck, replaced the primer ball, all new fuel line, new fuel filter, VRO “delete”, new fuel pump from Sierra, both carbs 100% cleaned from top to bottom with wire, blown out, carb cleaned, top idle circuit screw 1 1/2 turns out from snug. New plugs, great spark.

so my problem is, it will not run. The only way I can get it to start and run is ONLY if the choke is manually opened up 100% (little red knob on electric choke turned 90*) basically force feeding it fuel solely on the choke Circuit. When I pull the fuel line off of the carbs while turning the motor over it spits fuel out telling me that the fuel pump is working correctly, I can run it on the choke for as long as I want (smokes like crazy obviously) when I shut the engine off and pull the bowl screws they’re 100% full of fuel meaning that the fuel is at least making it into the carbs. But not passed the needle and seat it seems like?

The floats are both adjusted 100% parallel to the carb body with
new needles and seats

100% cleaned carbs with wire and parts cleaner 4x over

I am stumped as to what would be causing this. Bad crank seals? Not enough vacuum getting pulled threw the intake?

Obviously someone is going to say clean them better but I’ve been doing this type of work forever and I can assure you they’re not clogged.

Fuel plumbing seems to be working perfectly, fuel filter doesnt go dry, no fuel leaks,

Great spark, new plugs

cranks over great and compression seems good

Fuel premixed 50:1

I’ve tried literally everything I can think of

crabs are synced and linkage seems to be working perfectly

Intake manifold, engine head, engine block, ect has never been split or taken apart. All factory

help me out here guys! I wanna get this pile out of the yard!
Thanks, scott

Last edited:
Back