Logo

mercury

iceman748

Contributing Member
ok need serios help here,mercury 2 stroke 4 cylinder,outboard,no serial number,carb numbers are wma6-1 and wma6-3,fuel pump 98766 and 14430-0 was told it was a 60-70 hp,but i think its a 50,carbs also have on them 10/86
thanks

In the early 1980's, Merc started switching over from Tillotson carbs to Walbro.

The first Walbro carbs on the 50's were WMA 1's (circa 1981), succeeded by the WMA 3, then the WMK 8.

As many lists/parts manuals that I have sifted through both on-line and in printed form I am unable to find any reference to a Walbro WMA 6 carb at all. I don't meant can't see where it was used, I'm saying can't find any indication that the thing even existed.

Nothing on the "use" list that gives the different carbs used on a particular model (eg, the 1986 designed 90 horse that stayed in production until last year, used 31 different Walbro carb models over it's lifespan).

And despite being able to list all 31 of those models, I can find nothing, nada, zippo, on a WMA 6.

Now, obviously if you have one in your hand that says WMA 6, it was made, just no records that I can find list it.

So while the carbs are often a way to identify a motor, in this particular case, they may just add to the mystery.

Hey, Walbro is still in business. Maybe give their tech support a call (look it up on their website) and see if they have records as to what that carb was used in - worth a shot...

In the early 1980's, Merc started switching over from Tillotson carbs to Walbro.

The first Walbro carbs on the 50's were WMA 1's (circa 1981), succeeded by the WMA 3, then the WMK 8.

As many lists/parts manuals that I have sifted through both on-line and in printed form I am unable to find any reference to a Walbro WMA 6 carb at all. I don't meant can't see where it was used, I'm saying can't find any indication that the thing even existed.

Nothing on the "use" list that gives the different carbs used on a particular model (eg, the 1986 designed 90 horse that stayed in production until last year, used 31 different Walbro carb models over it's lifespan).

And despite being able to list all 31 of those models, I can find nothing, nada, zippo, on a WMA 6.

Now, obviously if you have one in your hand that says WMA 6, it was made, just no records that I can find list it.

So while the carbs are often a way to identify a motor, in this particular case, they may just add to the mystery.

Hey, Walbro is still in business. Maybe give their tech support a call (look it up on their website) and see if they have records as to what that carb was used in - worth a shot...

sent the carbs to a merc mechanic,to get a clean out,not got them back yet

Yes, but we were trying to help determine year and horsepower based on the carbs because the serial was missing and no other info on the motor was known by the current owner.

These carbs have, so far, proven to add nothing to that end...

Not performance wise, but they sure are easier to remove with their 'bolt on from the front' design. Love 'em.

Jeff

Two, long 5/16 bolts go through the entire carb to attach it. Slap a socket on them and--presto!--off the thing comes. No fiddling with a 1/2 inch open end to get the nuts off--IF you can get to them. And no dropping the nuts into the black void below (never to be seen again) on re-assembly.

Love 'em.

Jeff

PS: Forgot jet changing. Just remove the plug in front and there's the jet! Beautiful. THe other carbs require one to fish the jet out with a thin wire, hoping not to drop in into the black void.

Two, long 5/16 bolts go through the entire carb to attach it. Slap a socket on them and--presto!--off the thing comes. No fiddling with a 1/2 inch open end to get the nuts off--IF you can get to them. And no dropping the nuts into the black void below (never to be seen again) on re-assembly.

Love 'em.

Jeff

PS: Forgot jet changing. Just remove the plug in front and there's the jet! Beautiful. THe other carbs require one to fish the jet out with a thin wire, hoping not to drop in into the black void.

cheers mate,took them of,and they are away to get done,dont know what carb kits to get for them as i cant get the sn of the engine, the numbers on the carbs are wma6-1top carb and wma6-3 bottom carb,was trying to info of them for my engine,any info you could give would be great
thanks

Iceman, where are you located?

If you have a Belgian or an Aussie built model that could explain why we can't find your carbs. All my lists are for North American built motors...

If the motor came from Europe it was most probably built in Belgium, and while 99% of the parts are the same there are a few minor differences - the carb model "could" be one of them...

Back