Logo

Mercury/Yamaha Connection Connector

NETim

It appears, after some confusion, befuddlement and research, that the correct engine side fuel connector for my very early nineties 9.9 (SN 0CXXXXXX) is a Yamaha connector. The connector on the fuel line I got with the motor has a ball bearing on the fuel side while the OEM fuel line I purchased has a flat plate. It seems to fit (but I haven't tried to use it.) A Mercury connector I bought from BPS has what appears to be a ball bearing in it but it doesn't fit. (It's supposed to be for a Merc according to the packaging.)

The fuel line that came with the motor is hard as a rock and just plain crap. I'm going to salvage the connector and make a new fuel line. Hopefully it's still good for awhile. The motor ran with it anyway.

So, go with a Yammie connector for this rig in the future? I'm thinking I have to go 3rd party/aftermarket as it doesn't appear Merc makes this type of connector any longer.

According to the parts list,no.8 in the link, Mercury Marine 9.9 HP Fuel Filter Assembly Parts (marineengine.com) That is the type of fitting you need, either new or old style. In truth,the engine doesn't care how it gets it fuel, so if you just fit the line all the way through to the carb from the tank and cut out the connection altogether. Which, if you plan on lifting the engine off after each outing,that won't work.
So, I suggest the new engine side connector,no.8, and a corresponding tank side fitting.

According to the parts list,no.8 in the link, Mercury Marine 9.9 HP Fuel Filter Assembly Parts (marineengine.com) That is the type of fitting you need, either new or old style. In truth,the engine doesn't care how it gets it fuel, so if you just fit the line all the way through to the carb from the tank and cut out the connection altogether. Which, if you plan on lifting the engine off after each outing,that won't work.
So, I suggest the new engine side connector,no.8, and a corresponding tank side fitting.

I've been thinking of replacing the engine side connector, provided the new replacement connector would be the "new" style compatible with the post '98 style fittings.

I guess I can roll the dice and hope.

Thanks!

I finally did the logical thing. I took the 9.9 to a dealer. A Sierra engine end fuel connector did the trick. Now I have a spare.

Back