Logo

Mercury Outboard Stator Position Need Help

MyName

a used 1978 Glastron but after two sucessful times on the lake, the third & 4th time left me stranded. Since then, I've replaced or redone All necessary CDI & Carb, Everything & compression check 130#ea on the Mercury OB 80hp model 800 Thunderbolt Ser# 5009751
However, After bolting new Stator & Trigger as the old came off with wires exiting-facing Forward center over carbs, I've noticed some unclear manual photos & repair videos seem to show the wires exiting Back. Also one marine mechanicsI I showed saw & said" The wires forward position seemed odd although it was previously running that way, so maybe it doesn't matter". It still had problems running & restarting so I rotated & rebolted it 180° wires out behind, now it starts & runs but only full throttle at startup & I have to lower the RPM by hand at the motor only.
Question: Can anyone please clear this up? Called Mercury & they can not find this position in any manual now all working at home eating donuts! nor Just one UTube video by nightmaregizmo (1978 Mercury 800 80 hp outboard motor repair) seems to show it with wires back.
Thank you in advance

Pic of wiring. They are black in the pic because I repaired and heat shrunk them.

Attachments

• Powerhead Tach wiring.jpg
    Powerhead Tach wiring.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for the photo, that's how I reinstalled it today Right Side after trying Front, Left, & Back, makes no difference, works any position
Regards
Stephen

I reread your post. When you unbolted the flywheel,did you remove the complete flywheel via the crank nut, or by the eight 1/2" bolts on the flywheel? If via the eight wee bolts,you may have disturbed the timing.
Another thought,check the distributor leads are all in the correct plugs.

Thanks for the info & checking in on Mercury Moron here. Yes I used the correct Merc flywheel puller & managed today to check what Chris was kind enough to explain to measure #1 piston depth for TDC then turn flywheel to match .464" depth position as shown on flywheel for pointer & timing light I hope to do timing check also, along with the throttle arm adjustment & others that I've yet to attempt & to understand along with the SELOC manual confusion. Yes wires all checked also.. Keep in touch please,
Kind regards,
Stephen
AKA Mercury Moron

Back