Logo

Mercury optimax 115 2007 Help starts 1-2 secs then cuts off

Hi
the problem was lack of fuel pressure which was due one very short piece of fuel hose fitted to the pump where it sits inside its housing....I've got some pictures somewhere I will try and find them

Ok. This is an outlet sleeve from the pump. 2 years ago i have done the service on the Separator Tank and i replaced all rubber connections. Not sure if it could get damaged as soon... i will try to look for obstruction somewhere else. But, after that post, as i read the problem reoccured!?

Last edited:
Ok, problem solved; compressor reed plate replaced with new and engine started without any issues. Even though the valve blades seemed to be good they were not closing thus the compressor was not building pressure in the rail, so it was not possible to start the engine and even if started it would stop soon after due to the air pressure loss.

I am having the same start and no run problem on a Opti 150. I see your comments but do not see what the results were for this repair. Please post resolve.

I am having the same start and no run problem on a Opti 150. I see your comments but do not see what the results were for this repair. Please post resolve.

The result was the success. Already for a year no any issues whatsoever. In my case, the air compressor reed plate needed to be exchanged.

check the coils---tsb 2007-25r2 and more importantly (even though it says smaller sized motors--it affects all the optimax in the 2006-9 years). 2009-26.
The coils break down from normal heat and vibration. You have to change them all. I have 3 coils test perfect. One makes no difference plugged in or not- yet has lots of spark. The other 2 do- but when I changed the 3 of them- the motor roared to life and no more stalling or hard starting. Mine would run a few seconds, turn off. Start it same thing. I checked EVERYTHING including changing reeds, having the fuel rail/injectors serviced, rebuilt fuel pump/vst- and more- things. In the end- it was the coils--with spark and that test properly. So---dont assume they are good just because they test good. They fail under load- intermittently and that is why the motor shuts down but runs WOT---it is running fast enough to overcome a momentary lapse in spark in different cylinders at different times. Very frustrating problem.

Back