Logo

Mercury OB

bspeth

Regular Contributor
My dad has a 40hp which comes back as a 45-50hp according to the serial number 06096847. Any way he says it cranks a long time before firing when cold. I told him to pump the throttle before trying to start which he says helped a little. Other than that it runs perfectly.Do you think the wrong motor cover was given to him when he bought it? Also any suggestions for starting? Thanks-B

Yes he has tried pushing the key in during starting. The owners manual said to push it in for six seconds,but it still cranks for a long time before firing.Any other suggestions? How long should it crank before firing?Thanks-B

When pressing in key have asst. listen for a clicking sound on port side,that's the primer solenoid,aka "choke" Are you pumping primer bulb up to firm before cranking?

I have not seen the motor,dad is in Buffalo I'm in Reno. He says it LOOKS immaculate. I guess I will have him visually check that the choke plate is closing promptly.If you think of anything else please sound off. Thanks-B

Back