Logo

Mercury MPI 5.0 stalling when put in gear,

Ayuh,..... What vintage,..?? got the serial number,..?? which drive,..??
Have you had it scanned on a diagnostic 'puter,..??

Ayuh,..... What vintage,..?? got the serial number,..?? which drive,..??
Have you had it scanned on a diagnostic 'puter,..??
have not scanned yet, it started out as very intermittent than gradually more and now as soon as you put in gear. checked fuel check valve at tank and its clean. It's always been as if you turned the key off when driving, no spudder and starts back up with no problem.

Bondo knows more than me but I'll jump in. Inherent to the Alpha system is a switch that cuts the engine for a split second when shifting from in gear to neutral. If your shift cable has worn to the point where the system is no longer adjusted right it may be depressing the switch when it shouldn't thereby cutting your engine. Common failure point.

Ayuh,..... You got it Mark,......

I'd expect alota really bad noises before a gimbel bearing seized,.....
Could be a locked up drive though,.....

Your original post said it shuts off "...as soon as you put it in gear". Now you say "...shortly after". This could be a significant difference. Which one is it?

Ayuh,.... We still don't know which drive, nor vintage,.......

The 5.0 mpi isn't much to go on,....

so originally the motor would shut off under power on plain as if you turned the key off, you could be driving for a while, it would then start rite up and you could go again for a while and it would do it again, now it will cut off before you get on plain and again start rite up after.

so originally the motor would shut off under power on plain as if you turned the key off, you could be driving for a while, it would then start rite up and you could go again for a while and it would do it again, now it will cut off before you get on plain and again start rite up after.
Ayuh,..... Right at the moment it quits, is when you have to diagnose whether it lost it's fuel, or fire,.....

Back