Logo

Mercury Mark 35a has carburetor from Mark 75 for some reason - how to compensate?

Boatsnhoes

Contributing Member
[Posting this partially to ask a question and partially to document this issue for anyone that may run into it in the future]

I realized that the carburetors on my Mark 35a Mercury actually belong on a Mark 75. This is true of two separate motors I bought, so I find it hard to believe it's a coincidence.

Evidence:
Mark 35a carb: https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/1109_7.cfm
Mark 75 carb: https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/1720_110.cfm

Note the addition of the angled tube in the 75 (part numbers 31,32 over on the right hand side of the diagram)

My question is: was this something done in-factory, or was it done by a previous owner. Like I said, this is two motors with the same carb mismatch (both have the 75 carbs), so I doubt it was done post-sale.

My next question is: how do I compensate for this?

It appears as though the 75 additional angled tube would simply provide extra gas to the mix at high revs, which would make sense given that it goes to a stronger engine. Is it possible that I can just turn the thumb screw all the way in, block off that tubing, and then I effectively have the mark 35 carburetor I'm supposed to have?

My theory right now is that the manufacturer started putting Mark 75 carburetors on the Mark 35 midway thru production, and informed the consumers about this workaround to save the expense of making two different carbs.

If anyone has seen something like this before let me know!

31,32 are parts of the idle system and in the Mark 35 it is vertical; one carb is a fixed hi speed jet one, the other is adjustable, that is the only difference I can see. They could have made the switch to fixed jet mid-production as this was an upgrade for the future,

What HP do you think a Mark 75 is ??-----It appears that the piston and rings for a mark 35a and a Mark 75 is the same.--------Perhaps displacement of each cylinder on a Mark 35a and Mark 75 is the same.

Last edited:
Mark 75 is 60 hp and mark 35 is 35 hp (or so I thought)

Not sure if carbs remain interchangeable with that big a difference. Maybe they just put different jets in them to tailor it to the model?

The reason displacement would be the same is that mark 75 is 6 cylinder so it has two extra cylinders to get those hp

Back