Logo

Mercury Black Max V175 No Spark 1 3 5

Asmikle1

Sunday I took the boat (Mercury Black Max V175 1988) out it ran great at house with muffs but with I put in lake it ran rough and struggle to get to WOT (slow takeoff) but after a few seconds it got on plane WOT but then the temp alarm sounded so went back to take out lake. Got to house I tested the spark plugs and on left side 1 3 5 no spark but other side 2 4 6 working. So it's only running on three cylinders. What do I need to change out to get it going again. So far I have changed the impeller and housing, Soaked and sprayed out card (also new gasket kit for all three), new plugs, fuel pump gasket kit, fuel separator, filter on motor next to fuel pump.

Stator or switchboxe. Mine was stator. Swap red and blue stator wires on switchbox if spark moves to other side its stator if it stays the same switchbox

Will do. Do I swap the red & blue with the other switch box or do I just switch the red and blue on the one side (switch box)

Other switchbox. if you get spark on 1 3 5 and none on 2 4 6 its the stator.
Plenty of good reading on here go to search forums and you will learn alot on your motor, comes in handy when diagnosing something.

Last edited:
Back