Logo

Mercury 9.9 hp 2 stroke make boat turn hard right

Risner11

Hi all,

I just bought a 9.9 hp Mercury 2 stroke and when i took it out the first time the motor makes the boat go hard right (Motor moves left) when i let up on the tiller arm. Everything i search says adjust the trim tab but there is no trim tab, there is only an anode (flat plate) I am lost on what to do, can anyone help?

Thanks

If I am understanding your issue correctly you are saying that when you let go of your tiller handle the motor pivots to the left (on it's bracket - nothing is broken etc, it's just like "you" put it into a hard right turn, but it does it on it's own).

If that's the case it's because your pivot is not under enough tension to overcome the prop rotation which is pulling the motor - so it fails to keep running "straight".

If I have that correct then you simply need to put some more tension on the bolt that puts resistance on the pivot.

(see the pic below for location)

There should be a bolt going through the (tube) on the bracket that houses the pivot tube. It should be threaded through a spring and then into the tapped hole that it screws into. Turning it in (clockwise) will put more pressure/resistance on the pivot. You should put "just enough" to keep the motor straight under power - if you turn it in too far it will make it more difficult to turn with the tiller handle - so you are looking for "balance".

Anyhow, here is where you need to look - if the bolt/spring is missing all together, that could well be your problem :)

9.9 merc.jpg

Thanks for the help. My copilot is a lever in the front of the motor and moving that does help but doesn't fix the issue. It will make it harder for the motor to move on its own but makes it hard for me to steer.

Back