Logo

Mercury 9.8hp serial 9008203

Dan0509

Hi all. I am trying to rebuild old merc 9.8 serial 9008203. I cannot seem to find what year is this serial number. I need replacement crankshaft and found good one,but its 1968 an i think that my motor is 1973. It has points ignition and has lightening word on the block. My original crank has two slots for keys on crank,one for flywheel and the other is for points cam if i understand correctly. I dont want to give up on it. Just got set of piston rings,good conrods,block honed,measured,checked etc. I purchased crank in England,but it was wrong type,with only key slot for flywheel and top shaft of crank is shorter,plus it had some not very nice corrosion on bottom seal race.
Any help would be great as i never worked on mercs,mainly omc stuff.
Many thanks.

Tim's Outboard Hackensack MN. 218 682 2331. Tell them Tim sent you. You will notice less changeability with Mercury vs. OMC. Second choice is Cory at Boat Motor Recyclers. 952 894 4888

Last edited:
My serial number does not tie up with any parts catalogs. 900 is Belgium motor,but catalogs dont show this number,it starts 904 and motors with that serial are way newer than mine and have cdi ignition and different crankshaft and my merc is points ignition.
I am in Europe.

Hi. It has 2 coils outside ,on top of the block. What is problem with them? Is it ignition or engine is problem to repair?

I does not have thermostat,has tillostson carb,no cdi box anywhere and is not newer than 1973 because it has different top bearing carrier comparing to 1974. My carrier has plate on two sides that hold magneto plate.
Cannot find any pictures.

Back