Logo

Mercury 9.8hp rebuild saga goes on........

Dan0509

Hi everybody. You guy probably start laughing from me now.
Anyway's. Got all parts now and happy with their condition,well,was happy 5 mins ago and now i feel like putting that motor in the box and taking it to the dump:mad:.
Got 4 relly nice connecting rods. No rust,no scoring marks,still see marks from honing stones when machined at factory,so low hour rods. Went ahead and picked 2 rods,cleaned them and decided to tighten caps on and see how they align and feel sorry i done it. Whats happening is i feel step in the spot where they join,not massive step,but can feel and catch it with my finger nail. In my book those parts are scrap because that step will destroy new needles in seconds. Like i mentioned before,i am more experienced with OMC motors. OMC rods,on 9.9/15 motors are split and then put together,then machined. When putting those together you need to align cap and rod on the outside and there is a little movement there,not much,but tiny wiggle is present and they can be aligned. Mercury rods are just cut instead of split/broken and they have bolts that fit tight in the holes in rod and the cap,so that bolt aligns cap and the rod and when putting then onto crank there is no way to check if its all good inside and that was reason in done it before assembly.
Checked all 4 rods and they are same,step in all of them. It is all very disappointing and puts me of the old mercury motors.
What do you guys think,will cap and rod align when it on the crank with bearings and i feel step because there has to be bearing inside?
Sorry for being a pain in a...
Thank you in advance.

The caps are NOT interchangeable on Mercs (and most other motors). Assuming the 4 rods and caps once belonged to each other, you can mix and match them until you find a correct set. An expanding caliper (measuring device) is a good tool for doing this.

Jeff

Back