Logo

Mercury 850 SX reverse issue

jru

I purchased a 1971 Ozark bow rider type boat with a Mercury 850SX from my neighbor this fall. It had been sitting (uncovered) in his back yard for at least 6 years. The boat was originally his father-in-laws and when he passed, it stayed in the family. My neighbor told me the engine ran great when it was parked in the back 40. The very last time they took it to the lake, the motor started up but it would not go in reverse. When they got it back on the trailer, he parked it and didn't find the time to look into the issue. I'm not sure if I want to take the time and effort to get the boat up to a condition where it is lake-worthy. Can anyone provide any advice or guidance? I"m sure this is the original motor and it is not ceased up. I'm debating over rolling up my sleeves and getting to work on it or selling it and getting something that is more turn-key... thanks in advance for your time and thoughts...

Thanks... my neighbor told me he had used it 3 weeks prior to taking it out that last time. So it "broke" at some point during the summer. He is somewhat mechanical minded and could not get it working. He was fairly confident it wasn't in the linkage and must be something inside the motor. I have not taken anything apart yet... hoping to get some advice before tearing it apart. thanks again..

Turn the LU shift shaft by hand counter-clockwise until it
stops, then with Vise Grips tight on the bottom of the shaft turn it a
few more degrees CCW until it clicks into a stop, this
should be neutral - check by turning propshaft --
prop should spin freely if you keep turnung shaft CCW the next stop will be Rev.
Do not shift into reverse unless you turn the prop at the same time.

I appreciate the advice... thanks! Do you think the project is worth continuing? Seems like this is a reliable motor but the boat certainly needs restoration... thanks again for the responses.

Back