Logo

Mercury 60 won't start - odd one

Martygf

Please help - don't know much about outboards but here's my problem. I have a mercury 60 outboard approx 1991 ( serial odo74257 ) that won't start. Turns over no problem but will not fire up. Removed middle spark plug ( 3 cylinder ) earlier to check for spark. Held spark plug with pliers and gloves on and had friend to turn over. Moved plug closer to block and had electric shock which caused me to drop pliers so didn't notice any spark, however the engine started straight away and was running. Turned engine off and replaced plug but still won't fire up. Have removed all plugs and cleaned, dried and replaced. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

What did the spark plugs look like? Change and gap the plugs...they are cheap. They should all don't look medium brown in color. Check the spark at each plug wire end w/a spark gap tester. You want to see and hear a loud snapping blue tinted spark jump 3/8" gap.

Tried new plugs today but still no start - checked for spark but no spark. Any suggestions please? Just another point is that last time out on water the control lever was beeping all time and wouldn't stop ( low oil warning was disconnected so it couldn't be that)

Back