Logo

Mercury 60 fourstoke tacho question

iceknight66

Contributing Member
Gday recently purchased a brand new 60 merc fourstoke. and control box, My question is, I cant see any grey wire at the control box end to hook upto the tacho?

I see down on the rectifier i have a grey wire thats capped off....

Shouldnt there be a grey wire up the front already for a tacho? Or do i need to run a seperate wire to the front from this capped off wire on the recitifer, Surely mercury marine have something up the front,

I have a Smart craft plug at the control box with a grey wire, Can i just cut this and tap into it from there? Or not possible?

Thanks

If you bought a smartcraft control box it was designed for smartcraft gauges - wasn't designed for old style analog gauges. Merc used to sell a (unit/kit) that goes on smartcraft motors to allow them to hook up to conventional gauges.

So are you saying you have a smartcraft equipped 60 horse, with the smartcraft control but didn't get the smartcraft gauge to go along with it (either multi-function or just the "smart tach")?

Unless they have changed something in the past couple of years (I'm not totally up on any changes over the past 2-3 yrs) then you either have to "jury rig" your old gauge, get the kit (if available still) or switch to the smart tach (or multi-function unit)...

i am running a new 60 merc 4stroke purchased last fall.....merc controls....they replaced the tach because the old one broke when trying to change the setting....boat is 19 years old ....i went with merc controls because they were about half the price and to remove any excuses if things didnt work....i have found very little help with questions on these new motors....even the shop guys are using a remote merc support center.....and there is very little on the web....there is plenty of stuff on the web however on the smartcraft controls...you are going to have some questions on that motor when you put it in the water tho....idles fine...runs top end fine...makes some sounds at low rpm in gear etc....also make sure your gas tank is in good shape with a water filter...and i recommend gas treatment....these motors are much more critical and you cant get away with gas etc that the old 2 cycle would ignore...

Back