Logo

Mercury 50 steering problem

J

Justin Phyall

" I have a problem with the st

" I have a problem with the steering on a 50 hp mercury blue band. The steering got progressively stiffer and now is almost completely seized. I am trying do dismantle the steering to clean it and re-grease it, but i am unsure how to remove the engine from the steering column attachment on the back of the boat. I have also noticed that there is a bar (i think it is the gear-linkage) running down the steering column and i am unsure of how to remove this aswell. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks "

" Justin,

This only ap

" Justin,

This only applies if what you are dealing with is remote steering: Before you go in that direction, be sure that it is not you steering cable or helm; if you havn't allready, take off the nut that secures the steering rod to the ram (cylinder that moves in and out of tube when you turn the engine) and pull the arm out of the hole on the ram. This will disconnect your steering system from the engine; then try to swivel the engine. If it is still stuck, the problem is on the engine, if not then you have an issue with the steering system.

Jon "

" Thanks, but i have already d

" Thanks, but i have already disconnected the steering rod from the engine and the engine was still solid! "

Does anyone else have tips fo

Does anyone else have tips for stripping the steering mechanism for the engine??? Can I just use a blow lamp to free the steering up.

"Justin,

The year of manufa

"Justin,

The year of manufacture or model number would help me be more specific, but for most (if not all) 50 HP Mercs, you would have to remove the power head, in order to replace the swivel tube.

These tubes tend to lock up because grease does not readily spread the entire length of the tube when pumped into the grease nipple.

"

" As TonyOB notes, you have to

" As TonyOB notes, you have to pull the powerhead to get at the mounts to remove the clamp bracket section. You may also have to fashion a puller to yank the swivel tube out. Heat from a propane torch might also help loosen things up - the housing is aluminum and the swivel tube is steel - the aluminum will expand more and quicker than the steel. I think I might even try that first...
- Scott "

Back