Logo

Mercury 40hp 2 Stroke Year 2004 not engaging into reverse

Jim123

I just bought a boat with a Mercury 40hp 2 stroke 2004 Model.
It won't engage reverse. Whe you put it in reverve it just revs.
Forward gear works ok.
Any advice would be appreciated

Several things it could be.------Try this first.-------------Remove lower unit.-------------Put lower unit in nuetral.------------Put control box in nuetral.--------Re-assemble.----May have happened during waterpump work.

Several things it could be.------Try this first.-------------Remove lower unit.-------------Put lower unit in nuetral.------------Put control box in nuetral.--------Re-assemble.----May have happened during waterpump work.

What at do you mean by lower unit and then putting lower unit in neutral

That is called a remote control. Disconnect the shift cable at the engine and put your controls in neutral and then shift the gearbox manually while spinning the prop and see if you can get it to go into reverse. Do not turn the engine over the prop should lock in both directions in reverse and in forward it should ratchet in one direction and lock in the other. If it goes into reverse put the gearbox in neutral the prop should spin free then adjust the cable to fit. Then have someone shift the control while you spin the prop and see if the controls work properly.

That is called a remote control. Disconnect the shift cable at the engine and put your controls in neutral and then shift the gearbox manually while spinning the prop and see if you can get it to go into reverse. Do not turn the engine over the prop should lock in both directions in reverse and in forward it should ratchet in one direction and lock in the other. If it goes into reverse put the gearbox in neutral the prop should spin free then adjust the cable to fit. Then have someone shift the control while you spin the prop and see if the controls work properly.

I really appreciate this
I'll try it out on the weekend and let you know how I go

Back