Logo

Mercury 40 ELPTO 2 Stroke - 1995 - Fuel Filter(s) - Manual

PNull

Hi Guys,

I've pretty generic Engine problem : Motor starts fine and can run for some minutes full throttle before a suspected fuel starvation; letting it "rest" a bit, it starts fine, and continues but only at low RPM operation. Definitely not confidence inspiring ...

Mercury 40 ELPTO 2 Stroke - 2 Cylinder - 1995

Can anyone help or advise ?..

• Indicate where to find a Shop Manual. I searched and searched but don't yet find an exact match.
  • Does there exist a second fuel filter perhaps below 2 stroke oil container ?

I have no Mercury Dealer near the boat or me (actually I'll travel to in some few weeks).

Any recommendations to debug this issue ?

Thanks In Advance + HNY2022

PNull

What color is the fuel line from boat to engine? The older grey ones have a liner that degrades and restricts fuel delivery

Thanks - Fuel line from Jerry Can / Fuel Tank to Engine is basic black. We swapped a couple different tanks and same issue.

I think this is the best fit for manuals and schematics (motor is from Belgium) :

All Models > 40 HP (2 Cylinder) > 9854537 - 0P016999 (Belgium)

I'd be getting a new fuel filter and cutting your old one open. If you find tan, hard semi-circular bits in there they came from your OEM grey fuel line when it had one....like Faztbullet said. If black specks from your engine hoses degrading. To answer the question, there are lots of fuel filters that will fit and work if you can't find OEM....ebay has a pretty good selection of OEMs.

Otherwise check your bulb. If its sucked in when it quits, tank vent is also a possibility beside fuel line clogs. If not sucked in, or of you squeeze the bulb and engine immediately responds, fuel pump isn't working as it should....assuming fuel filter isn't clogged. My 2c.

Last edited:
squeeze the bulb and engine immediately responds, fuel pump isn't working as it should

On point Texasmark : gotta remember common sense when reading filter debris and yea I should try the bulb squeeze tip.

Attaching a foto from last Fall. Could there actually be a second fuel filter somewhwere ?...

Reading around it seems some 4 strokes have a 2nd filter tucked up under engine. Dunno for 2 strokes though.

fuel_filter_main.jpg

I'm assuming the fuel pump is ok but no confirmation. Maybe can jury rig something to test it ?

Testing a fuel pump is simple.------You operate the manual fuel pump.-----If motor operation improves the fuel pump on the motor is faulty.

Should be only one on that engine...no need for a second. I have a second one on my 2002 115 2+2 but its because of the 2+2 operation which you don't have.

Problem Resolved : Was very small granular rust particles in fuel system and carb. Complete tubes/hoses cleaning and rebuild done. Also, the bulb is (I've not replaced it yet) a piece of (maybe asian) crap made of hard unflexable fake rubber.

Note : Yes two other things to check : the grey original gas hose for wear and the reeds are in good knick.

Should be only one on that engine...no need for a second. I have a second one on my 2002 115 2+2 but its because of the 2+2 operation which you don't have.

Correct - The 2T version has only one - the 4T two.

Thanks Guys !

I have the same issue, same motor and year. Tachometer started veering erratically and weakened power felt. I replaced plugs. It started right up for a minute. I switched it off for 5 minutes and since then it will only try but never turns over. I don't see a filter setup like the one pictured at all. the gas line is faded clear tubing.

Thanks so much. tough ending to a vacation.

Back