Logo

Mercury 225 EFI 4 Stroke 2004 Alarms

PaddyKeyWest

I have been getting an engine alarm and thought it was the impeller. I changed out the old impeller but still have an alarm at 3000 rpm and the cylinders phase in and out until back to idle speed. I would like to know if any one else has experienced this problem and possible solutions. thanks.

That's the guardian system reducing rpms to stop engine damage.

One of two conditions will cause what you are seeing 1) engine overheat 2) low oil pressure.

With a new impeller if the telltale is fine I would give it an oil change (including new filter), especially if you don't change the oil/filter anually (which absolutely should be done even if the boat only sees use on the occassional weekend)...

I did change oil with filter and plugs 1 month ago. When pulling the dip stick it reads overfilled but only but in 6 quarts. Thanks for your suggestions. Keep them coming.

Thermostats should be done when you do impellers

That motor also has a poppet valve that can cause this also

What you do is unplug the overheat alarms when it goes off, if it stops its the fault

Even tho your motor pees does not mean it is cooling right

OK, thanks

Another problem, Tach will jump around but the engine is not reving and then the motor alarm will go off and the engine will phase and go to idle. Battery cables are all in good shape and cleaned. How many motor sensors are on this motor, can the sensors be bad?

As for the message above, will the installation of a engine temp gauge help determine if I still have an overheat issue? Thanks.

I am fairly certian that the powerhead on that motor is a yamaha as mercury never made a fourstoke 225 before the verado they just bought them off of yamaha until they designed there own motors.

Back